On-Location, (mostly) candid photography in Fulton/Montgomery County, New York and surrounding areas.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Project 365....day 27

Today's project 365 is an exciting one for me! My husband got out of work earlier than I'd expected today, so as soon as I finished watching Days of our Lives (go ahead, laugh at me) I took off, in search of 'the bridge'. I have been looking for a covered bridge for a few weeks now, and my friend Dave mentioned that there is one right across the street from his house. After checking out a map to make sure I knew where I was going, I set off!

First...a little history lesson;

In 1828 Arad and his brother Leonard moved to the Town of Edinburgh, purchasing Ely Beecher’s sawmill and carriage factory located along Beecher Creek. Arad had 35 acres across Beecher Creek where he had garden and pasture land. An open bridge below the house gave access to this acreage until it was destroyed by melting spring snow and ice. In 1879 he then decided to build the covered bridge that still stands today. According to family legend local residents Melzor Manning laid the stones, Jacob Latcher hewed the timbers and Azariah Ellithorpe Jr. framed the bridge. For the complete history, go here: History of the Copeland Covered Bridge


A long shot of the Copeland Covered Bridge




After I captured that shot, I climbed/slid my way down to the bottom of the rocks to get a different angle on the ice and the wintering plants.




~*~*~*~




The wild, flowing water of the Beecher Creek!




One of the last shots I took before I headed back home....from the top of the hill...I loved the look of the fence.




On my way home I detoured to take a few pictures for my friend Jani's son. ♥ he loves Trains, and while that will be it's whole own post, here is a pretty cool final shot for the day. I am curious to see what you all think this might be...


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I ♥ comments, so please leave one!